Vic Everest trekker’s body to be sent home

An Australian trekker who died while descending from Mount Everest Base Camp has been remembered as ‘one of a kind.


Matthew Jones, 49, experienced high altitude sickness close to Base Camp and died on Friday.

A post-mortem has been conducted and his body will be returned to Australia once the required paperwork is complete with the help of embassy staff and friends who were trekking with him, Pardip Karki, manager of the Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal, told Reuters.

The father of two from Melbourne has been fondly remembered by colleagues at tech company Intel.

Managing director Kate Burleigh said in a statement that Mr Jones had worked at Intel for 16 years and tributes from customers and colleagues he knew around the world were flowing in.

“Matt was truly one of a kind who will be greatly missed. The Intel team is mourning the loss of our friend and colleague,” she said.

Mr Jones was travelling in a group of 18 people heading for Khumjung when he became sick on Thursday night and decided to stay behind in a hotel, a spokesman for Eastern Region Police in Nepal said on Monday.

“He was having problems due to the altitude, that’s why he didn’t go on,” the spokesman told AAP.

“Early in the morning he was found dead in his room.”

Ms Burleigh said Mr Jones had a highly successful career at Intel where he was a leader across many sectors of the business, most recently in telecommunications.

“He was a unique character and will be remembered for not only his great work ethic and leadership but also his sharp wit and passion for good wine, fancy dress parties, history, travel and ‘vexillology’ (the study of flags),” she said.

Intel said it was providing support to the wife and children of Mr Jones.

“We ask that you respect the family’s wishes and let them mourn in private at this time.”

The Everest base camp is more than 5km above sea level and climbers rest there for several days to acclimatise before tackling the mountain, but Mr Jones had not been planning to go higher.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it was providing consular advice over the Australian man’s death.

A university lecturer from Melbourne died from altitude sickness on Mount Everest last year.